Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Free or Die Tuesdays: Umphreys McGee 04/09/2009

New little idea I had that's going to work two-fold.

Firstly...I was a huge fan of the "jam band" ideal back a handful of years ago.
On any consistent basis there was a live CD playing in my car, on the stereo at home, and even on my 1st generation iPod (which I ironically nicknamed livePod because well...it housed ONLY live music)
Phish, The Grateful Dead, Mule, and recent acts like Tea Leaf Green ruled my soundscape. It was just too easy to hit up the wonderful www.Archive.org and have LEGAL access to all the live music I desired.

Then came the big folk/indie boom of the late 00's and while I kept my grips with the live scene and still regularly catch shows...I started to get back into the studio album. Acts like Dr. Dog spearheaded the jump for me. Just something about hearing the music from the standpoint of the artist. In the context they wanted you to hear it at first listen. This also made the live experience more enjoyable because you had a basis for judgement.

Anyways, enough banter...the point is I want to GET BACK into the live world.

So each Tuesday that I can remember (had to throw in the disclaimer) I will post a live show from the Archive that you can download at home.

Note: a majority of these will be jam bands...but hey, thats just the policy of that genre...recording is encouraged to help spread the music. That said, a lot of times recordings are done by fans...so these will try to be the best quality sound I can find.

Kick it off first with:

UMPHREYS MCGEE
04/09/2009
LIVE @ Town Ball Room

Show:
Buffalo, NY
http://www.archive.org/details/um2008-04-09.um.aud.flac16

Utopian Fir
Utopian Fir >
Utopian Fir
Anchor Drops
Fusssy Dutchman
All In Time > Senor Mouse
All In Time
Ocean Belly
Search 4
FF >
FF> August
Bridgless
Encore Break
Liquid
Roulette

Download the show NOW as High Quality Mp3 or hit the link above for lossless audio and individual song downloads.

(Have an artist you'd like to see here? Shoot an email or post in the comments. Like I said...two-fold here, maybe you all can introduce the rest of us to some new bands!)

No comments:

Post a Comment