Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Watch and Listen Wednesday: Modest Mouse

This is a new little series I'm starting up called, "Watch and Listen."

The plan is to choose artists whom I've heard a lot about but haven't had the time to get familiar with their catalog...and then do just exactly that by listening to a straight run through their studio albums. So that's the listen...but where's the watch?

I'll be streaming the whole listening experience LIVE so you too can join in on the action. You'll be able to hear the music as I hear it and see my reaction to each musical moment.

When all is said and done, I'll have heard each album, and will update the post to account for my opinion of album order from favorite to least favorite.

Today's W&L is: Modest Mouse

If I had a nickel for every time someone recommended I listen to Modest Mouse, I'd be writing this to you from my lunar surface module. Honestly, I really liked, "Float On" when it came out in 348 B.C., but I never had the gusto to get any deeper.

So this one's for you Isaac Brock...hit me with your best shot:

VIEW THE FEED
(opens a new window)


[W&L LISTENING UPDATE] - I've finally made it through all 5 studio albums by Modest Mouse. Let me tell you, this was some of the most fun I've had listening to music in a while. I certainly hope to keep my word and try to do one of thse "Watch & Listens" at least once a month. Met a few cool people in the uStream chat as well, so hopefully next time I can get a public chat going for all the watchers both from uStream as well as Coffee Con.

Anyways, the meat of W&L...my opinion on the album order from greatest to least greatest...here goes nothing:

1.) Good News For People Who Love Bad News (2004)


2.) The Moon & Antartica (2000)


3.) The Lonesome Crowded West (1997)


4.) We Were Dead Before the Ship Even Sank (2007)


5.) This Is a Long Drive for Someone with Nothing to Think About (1996)


As I mentioned, this was my first undertaking of this sort. "Modest Mouse" was the perfect starting point. I feel like I really got to see how they progressed sonically...and hopefully with the next W&L I can go a little more in depth on my reasoning...a track list.

What do you think of Modest Mouse? Do you agree with my album order? Understandably the order is going to be different for each and every person. That's not even to say these are the best MM have offered either. These were simply their Studio works...no EP's or comp's at all which I've heard are equally as mouth watering.

1 comment:

  1. for those who like Modest Mouse,
    check out Love as Laughter

    they were recently signed to Isaac Brock's label, who also produced their latest album, "Holy".

    ReplyDelete