Thursday, July 9, 2009

5 Excellent TV Theme Songs

I could probably do a "Top 1,000 TV Theme Songs" post with the amount of television knowledge I have in my brain. So for the sake of your time and my time I will just pick 5 of my favorites right now but with some sort of narrow categorization.

In this case, these shows involve live actors and actresses. (i.e. The theme to "Ducktales" will not be included in this list...but perhaps in a later one!)

That said, it's difficult to put them in any order either. I mean, that's based on a lot of things including how long the show was on air, how popular it was, it's cult status since being off the air, etc. Not to mention my age plays a big role. For instance, you will not see the "Dick Tracy" theme here as, I'm not sure who played Dick Tracy, let alone what the theme song is. These are the cult classics from early 80's - mid 90's.

So in no particular order, I bring you 5 of the greatest:

5) Growing Pains
A staple among television theme songs. I can remember sitting down at the table for dinner as a kid and hearing this theme in the background. God the Seaver family was SO LONG ISLAND!



4) Hanging With Mr. Cooper
This show's intro was the best. So funky, so psychadelic and groovy. Like the Simpsons, there was a few seasons where Marc would come on at the end of the theme and say something new each time. This one just has some random guy scatting, but it's equally hilarious/awesome. (NOTE: How hilarious is Sandra Quarterman's dance moves at the 17s mark?)



3) Living Single
Wow! What a show. Really opened my eyes to the possibilities of Queen Latifah, whom I only knew previously for her excellent U.N.I.T.Y. which was all over MTV. That said, my favorite character was Overton (aka "Obie") who was the upstairs neighbor. +5 Extra trivia bonus for anyone who remembers the promotion they did with, "smell-o-vision" where you went to 7-11 and got a special card with numbers on it. During the episode, a number would pop up and you would scratch and sniff, and it would be the smell of an object on the show. Amazing.



2) Family Matters
Anyone who knows anything about me or my sense of humor knew that this one was coming. I probably should have saved it for a later list, perhaps "The Best TGIF Theme Songs", but I have to get it out of the way now. What can I say...TGIF had a great lineup of programming. Did I do that?



1) Step By Step
Good old Suzanne Somers and the ever manly Patrick Duffy had one heck of a dysfunctional family. That said, Step By Step always taught you a life lesson and if not...well you're probably following in the footsteps of Cody right now, brah.




As mentioned, this was VERY difficult because there's so many songs I want to include. Expect another one shortly by myself or another cohort and feel free to submit your favorites in the comments!

2 comments:

  1. I can't quite remember the Boy Meets World theme song...but who can resist a young curly fro-ed Cory Matthews or a young Ryder Strong's luchscious locks?! Lets get that up there people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ha, this is good stuff. I totally forgot about Step by Step.

    ReplyDelete