Thursday, July 2, 2009

Talking Heads DVD is Phenomenal

Until about a month ago, I would have said at any given time that my favorite music DVD was the, "Last Waltz" by The Band. Directed by Martin Scorsese, it wasn't just a concert DVD, but rather an epic masterpiece. The final show was a crowning achievement and certainly solidified the legendary legacy of The Band.

Last month my neighbor Joel, the only other avid Talking Heads fan I hang out with, handed me a copy of, "Stop Making Sense". I knew what I was getting into. After all I have been listening to the Heads for many years, though I myself wasn't quite of age during their prime. I'd also consider myself well versed in many of the musical undertakings of David Byrne. Apparently I was missing something...so I popped in the DVD.

What came next was the stuff dreams are made of. "The Heads" and company put on a show of epic proportions. They are in another universe filled with drugged up unicorns and dinosaurs with human limbs. (Not literally, it's mostly just a black backdrop, haha, but thats what I felt!)
This is their "Last Waltz"...a dizzying array of sound, harmony, and visuals.

Words can't express, so I recommend you pick this up yourself or check it out however you can. It's a must for any Talking Heads fan or the musically challenged.

(Gotta give credit to Mark at BoingBoing who pretty much beat me to this post today. I had it in the back of my mind to write something up about this marvelous release. Thanks for the reminder!)

Not to take everything from BB, here's an impressive version of, "Heaven" from the "Stop Making Sense" DVD I've been ranting about. Sonically and lyrically this track is magnificent...and quite different from the studio efforts. The overall quality/crispness is exactly what you'll get from the DVD.

No comments:

Post a Comment