Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Top 9 Board Game Commercials/Songs of the 80's and 90's

I wouldn't say I have the greatest memory, but I'm very nostalgic when it comes to the entertainment of youth. You saw my most recent list of 5 excellent old school TV show theme songs and 9 great old Disney rides. Well now I have something new to present...

These are the commercials for some of my favorite childhood board games. I'm talking the biggies from the early 80's to early 90's. Granted some of these games existed even earlier under a different name or in some other form, but these are the ones I remember growing up.

9) Pizza Party

Awesome game. I know I completely forgot about this one until the time of writing.




8) Splat
This one I never owned to be honest...I'm sure I wanted it but I can hear my mother complaining about it being a "mess" even today. Still one thing is for sure...the commercial was on non-stop and it's one I've never forgotten.




7) Lite Brite
Not really a board game but it's up there with one of the more memorable songs on a TV commercial. So I'll put it at number eight. This is the one I remember from the early 90's. I'm pretty sure some form of 'Lite Brite' was around when Happy Days debuted, ha!




6) Monster Mash
I probably used this game more than any other. I specify "used" because while I played it a lot, I also can remember my friends and I getting into slap fights with sticks. (Sorry the quality sucks, but its the best I could find)




5) Shark Attack
Another one I played a lot of with my family. I thought the shark was the coolest thing.




4) Hungry Hippos
We're getting into the more well known territory here. This has to be one of Milton Bradley's best sellers right here. In fact, this post was spawned because I'm pretty sure I overheard this same commercial on TV earlier this week. Gotta love that they recycle the commercial. Just don't make'em like they used to.



3) Grape Escape
Another one involving Play Doh creations. This theme song inspired me to become more enthralled in my Italian heritage than any other game out there.



2) Guess Who
This is another one that existed prior to my being born, but this one below is from when I played. This is the one that got me hooked and to be honest, I think this game is still fun as hell. They should totally update it for adults.



1) Crossfire
No game epitomizes 90's TV commercials better than this game. Though the game itself, like others, originally came to fruition in the 70's, this is the first television commercial for it. Just look at that intro! The cheering crowd, fire pits, and more insanity.




...but wait...it gets better...

In my search for this ever classic video, I stumbled across the greatest tribute of all time. Scott Gairdner created this awesome piano ballad version of the commercial and I'm not sure my life will ever be the same having heard it. Pure genius.




Do you have any board game commercials you remember from this era? Something I may have forgotten? Post them up in the comments. I can just see your brain thinking already...let me get you started..."Thin Ice".

1 comment:

  1. "mall madness" and "girl talk" were pretty awesome.

    ReplyDelete