Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Top 9 Disney Ride Theme Songs

I was, and for the most part still am, a huge enthusiast of Disney World.
Yes that is Disney WORLD in Florida, which is clearly more superior to the Disney LAND of California. It truly is the happiest place on Earth and I have no doubt that I would get the same rush of feelings and emotions there now as I did when I was a kid. From the Magic Kingdom to Epcot Center, I've encountered quite a few rides in my day. I'd imagine that while some still exist, a majority of them have been replaced with more modern fanfare. That's to be expected I guess, but here at Coffee Con, I never let a good thing die.

Below is a list of my Top 9 Favorite Disney World ride theme songs. Encompassing all rides from past to present.(Though who are we kidding...everyone knows The Carousel of Progress', "Now Is the Time" was WAY better than the current, "Great Big Beautiful Tomorow".)

9) Food Rocks
This was in "The Land" pavilion at Epcot and was a complete show put on by audio-animatronic food robots. It promoted a healthy living specifically in regards to foods and nutrition. The genius part of the show was the spin on actual real life artists and songs. For example, Pita Gabriel performed, "High Fiber" instead of Sledgehammer and The Peach Boys played, "Good Nutrition" instead of Good Vibration.




8) Journey Into Imagination
Another Epcot classic that has had a few incarnations over time. If you were able to leave this ride without singing, "Immmaaaaaaaaaaginaaaation" the rest of the day, you have no soul.




7) Michael Jackson's "Captain EO"
Arguably one of the most legendary rides at Epcot Center, and I'm not saying that simply as a devout Michael fan as this blog could attest, Captain EO was simply an amazement. Part movie and part musical, Michael again provied to everyone that he was the king of not just pop, but entertainment. Not to mention it was the first movie in 3D that actually blew me away.




6) Carousel of Progress
Ahhh the carousel of progress. I can only hope that some incarnation of this ride still exists in the Magic Kingdom. Originally created for the 1964 NY World's Fair, the ride was a journey through the past, present and future of a typical American household. I can remember going in the early 90's and hearing my favorite, "Now Is The Time" jingle (The song featured in the embedded video below). Upon going back for the 2000 Millennium celebration I was confused to hear that the song had changed to the newer, "Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow". Either way, it was still just as much fun to take in.




5) The Haunted Mansion
Another "epic" ride at the Magic Kingdom, the Haunted Mansion has always scared the crap out of me since I was a kid. I had forgotten until recently that the mansion was actually closed in order to spruce things up and was re-opened to the public in 2007. While granted, there is no real "theme song" for this ride...I'm focusing on the intro to the ride where you stand in a room and watch as the room appears to grow right in front of your eyes. (Still not exactly sure what happens here, haha, is it an elevator trick or something?) See below for exactly what I'm talking about, very memorable part of the ride.




4) Country Bear Jamboree
Another Frontier land creepy classic, though unintentionally, the Country Bear Jamboree always was a pit stop for my family. I'm pretty sure at the time, my parents enjoyed this one more than I did, but I surely enjoyed taking in the animatronic bears. Especially the large and tone deaf, "Big Al".




3)Main Street Electrical Parade
Another one that just epitomizes late night Disney(It was featured in Disney World, Disneyland and the Disneys of Tokyo, and Paris). At the time I enjoyed the dazzling lights and the characters running amok in Magic Kingdom, but I'd imagine seeing this now would make me say, "Wow, what did we eat during the character breakfast? I must be tripping. " Here you can find an awesome home video of the Disneyland parade and I've also embedded the official soundtrack which is awesome quality. Perhaps I can get it up here as a D/L on .mp3. I'd love to just blast this during a night on the town.





2)The Pirates of the Caribbean

You knew this was going to be on the list pretty high up there. One of the most memorable rides in Magic Kingdom that has since sparked a movie and been updated with new characters. Also, who can forget the area surrounding the ride with all the fake toy guns and swords. I think I begged for a different one each time I went. I'm sure my parents loved me chanting, "Yo ho, yo ho a pirates life for me!" while pretending to swig a giant bottle of booze.




1) It's A Small World
...need I say more? An easy, albeit cliche, choice for number one. Forever ingrained in our brains as children and left there, only to be pulled out from the deepest brain layers whenever someone happens to say, "small world" in passing. Try it now...go up to your co-worker, boss, whoever and try to finagle, "It's a small world after all" into the conversation...see how he/she responds.

No comments:

Post a Comment